Skip to main content

Skip to navigation

The access keys for this page are:

Ministry of Energy Mines and Responsible for Core Review

How Can We Minimize the Effects of Landslides?

The Role of the Geoscientist and Engineer:
  • Landslide risk can be reduced with engineering and geoscience investigations that lead to improved community bylaws and zoning. The British Columbia Municipal Act contains legal requirements that deal with landslides and other hazards.
  • By geological mapping, detecting slope hazards and determining the likelihood of landslide occurrence, geoscientists can assist engineers, developers, planners and building inspectors in avoiding high-risk areas. Through this process, structures such as homes, schools, hospitals, power-lines, fire stations and roads can be safely located away from potential landslide risk areas.

Your Role:


  • Learn more about your local geology and the potential geologic hazards in your area.
  • Consult an engineer or geoscientist with relevant experience in landslide work for advice or information on specific hazards and potentially hazardous locations.
  • Avoid activities that result in the undercutting of steep banks, and avoid the construction of buildings near the top or base of steep slopes. Do not place fill on steep slopes.
  • Request information and assistance from your municipal or district planner or building inspector prior to land purchase, prior to sub-dividing, and prior to construction applications.
Qualicum Beach property damage
Property damage in the Qualicum Beach area after a landslide (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks).


Landslides Home
Previous Page - How do landslides affect us?


Landslides in British Columbia was originally produced as Information Circular 1993-7 by the BC Geological Survey of the B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources in cooperation with the B.C. Ministry of Health, the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Highways, the B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks, the B.C. Ministry of Forests, the B.C. Provincial Emergency Program, and with the assistance of the Geological Survey of Canada

Copies are available from:
Publications Office,

BC Geological Survey