Coal production is a mainstay of the province's economy, generating billions of dollars in annual revenue and supporting thousands of well-paid jobs. Coal production currently represents over half of the total mineral production revenues in the province. Coal is B.C.'s largest single export commodity.
Between 70-90 per cent of coal produced in B.C. is metallurgical coal, which is used to make steel. The province also produces thermal coal, which is burned for heat to generate electricity and for other industrial uses.
BC Geological Survey Data Links:
MINFILE - search B.C. mineral occurrences
ARIS - search B.C. mineral assessment reports
Mineral Statistics - minerals, coal and industrial minerals
Mineral Titles - search mineral tenures
MapPlace - interactive Ministry of Energy and Mines spatial databases; view and create maps
Did you find what you needed?
If not, please call or email one of us for assistance:
- Janet Riddell, Coal Geologist, BC Geological Survey Branch, Victoria 778-698-8064
- Jessica Norris, Mineral and Coal Assessment Geoscientist, Victoria 778-698-7223
- Fiona Katay, Regional Geologist, Kootenay-Boundary 250-426-1758
- Chris Smith, Director, Coal Titles, Victoria 778-698-7150
- Gordon Clarke, Director, Mineral Development Office, Vancouver 250-660-2094